The First World War - The Complete Series - 3 DVD - BRAND NEW & SEALED
3 DVD, PAL, Region 2, Run Time: 8 Hours 33 Mins
Universally acclaimed as one of the finest documentary series ever made about the Great War, Channel 4's THE FIRST WORLD WAR is a powerful, original and truly comprehensive account of the conflict.
It places the war in a truly global military context as never before, exploring many of the little known campaigns, battles and actions as well as the better known conflict on the Western Front.
The series combines previously unseen footage from newly accessible archives in Central and Eastern Europe with exclusive film of many of the battlefields as they are today, studies of key participants and weaponry, and diary entries and letters home from soldiers, officers and commanders.
THE FIRST WORLD WAR is based on the best-selling book by Professor Hew Strachan, Chichele Professor of the History of War at Oxford University and Visiting Professor at the University of Glasgow.
- 1. TO ARMS 1914 The complex origins of the Great War, and how seemingly insignificant local tensions in the Balkans exploded into World War.
- 2. UNDER THE EAGLE 1914-1915 The German invasion of Belgium and France was brutal and atrocities fanned the flames of war.
- 3. GLOBAL WAR 1914-1916 The European empires clashed all across the world, from the South Atlantic Seas to the planes of Africa.
- 4. JIHAD 1914-1916 The Turkish Ottoman Empire proved a formidable foe, as the Allies found to their cost at Gallipoli and in the Middle East.
- 5.SHACKLED TO A CORPSE 1914-1916 As the Germans and Austrians clashed with The Russians on the bitter Eastern Front, Italy became embroiled in a terrible slaughter.
- 6. BREAKING THE DEADLOCK 1915-1917 The Somme and Verdun saw carnage on an unprecedented scale, as armies fought to break the stalemate on the Western Front.
- 7. BLOCKADE 1916-1917 The war at sea was every bit as bitter as the war on land. The battle at Jutland proved inconclusive but the U-Boat menace threatened Britain as never before. Meanwhile, America entered the war.
- 8. REVOLUTION 1917 The effect of the Great War shattered nations, inspired mass mutinies by desperate troops, caused great upheaval on the home front and changed the world forever.
- 9. GERMANY LAST GAMBLE 1918 Over one million German troops were committed to Kaiserschlacht - the last great offensive of the war - while conflict still raged on many other fronts.
- 10.WAR WITHOUT END The dramatic Allied victory at Amiens led to victory in just 100 days - and the signing of a bitterly-resented peace, while other nations stumbled towards their own ceasefire agreements.
- Exempt From Certification